Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Wonder Woman Wednesday-The Grateful Jar

It's two weeks before Thanksgiving which usually means our Facebook feeds are filled with people doing the "30 days of Thankfulness" or whatever it is called.  Obviously, I am not doing it.  Not  because I am not thankful or grateful for the people and oppurtunities in my life.  I don't feel it is necessary to plaster it all over social media.  If you are grateful/thankful, you tell those people to their face.  You do little things like bake some cookies and deliver them.  You send them a card just thanking them for being them. Don't get me wrong.  I am not judging the people that are participating in it.  I am not saying they are thankful for their parents, grandparents, spouses or kids.  I just believe the spoken word speaks louder than sitting behind the computer and typing the same message.
 
That being said, I have come up with a creative way to display your thankfulnes year round!  I have seen many ideas for a Thankful tree or a Grateful tree.  We have a chalkboard wall that was perfect for this idea. I may still do it for the next couple of weeks.  But I really want something that can be used year round.  So I came up with the "Grateful Jar."  Take a plain old mason jar, decorate it how ever you want, get the kids in on it...whatever!  Throughout the year, write things that made you grateful/thankful at that moment.  If your hubby got up with the baby at 2 in morning, write how grateful you are on a slip of paper.  If your 8 year old son FINALLY picked up all his Legos without being asked (purely hypothetical!!), write it your gratefulness down on a slip of paper.  If your 13 year old daughter contained her annoyance for her little brother long enough to help him complete a task (again HYPOTHETICAL), write how much you appreciated that on your slip of paper.  You get the idea, right? Each time you write a grateful moment down, put that slip of paper in the jar.  The point is to have a year of grateful moments that you can share on Thanksgiving night, New Year's Eve or whenever you feel the need. By doing it this way, you are showing your thankfulness year round for your loved ones, not just in the month of November.
Here's a picture of ours.  We are starting ours today afterschool.
Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!
Hugs y'all!
LSG

I partied at www.theturquoisehome.com, www.tatertotsandjello.com, and www.eatitandsayyum.com




1 comment:

  1. OK this is SUCH a wonderful idea. Keeping track of tiny things throughout the year can have such a big impact when you share them in one moment, like at Thanksgiving! It's easy to forget about them, but yours is the perfect solution for that. Thanks for the awesome idea and for sharing at On Display Thursday!

    ReplyDelete