Thursday, August 14, 2014

Thirsty Thursday-The Perfect Summer Lemonade




It's Thirsty Thursday again!!  I decided this week would be a non-alcoholic lemonade.  I was craving lemonade...but not the powder stuff...the real stuff!  Like "fresh from the lemon tree" lemonade.  So I checked out Pinterest to see what I could find.  I found some that were okay but I wanted JUST LEMONADE.  Not strawberry, not watermelon, just lemonade.  So I took my research to the lab (or my kitchen in this case).  I bought 6 BIG lemons...not those pansy ones that come in a bag.  The big ones that were 2 for $3 at my local grocery chain.  Then I bought a big bag of granulated sugar just to make sure I had enough.  I even bought a manual juicer!  I could not wait to get home and concoct the perfect lemonade.  When I was a kid, there was a corn dog place in the next town over that had the BEST lemonade.  Not too sweet but not too sour.  But like everything else good in the town, it is no longer there. 

I started off by boiling a cup of water and 1 1/2 cup of sugar.  You need the sugar to dissolve and make a clear syrup.  Once you have brought it to a boil, pour into a pitcher to chill.  I put mine in the fridge.   Then I heated my lemons in the microwave for 30 seconds.  I read several recipes that believes the heat releases the juices.  Whatever, I'm game!  Once heated, I took them out and rolled them between my palms and the counter.  Again, it helps release the juices.  After a few rolls, I put them on the cutting board and began cutting them in half.  Make sure to pick out the seeds!!  I juiced all 6 and got around a cup of lemon juice.  The ideal amount ranges from 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of lemon juice.  I then removed my pitcher from the fridge and poured in the lemon juice.  Depending on your pitcher size, add 7-8 cups of water to fill the pitcher.  I used my cute Fiesta one and was able to fit 7 cups.

My daughter came in from working outside all day and she loved it!!!  Apparently I did not make enough.  It's almost gone between her two BIG glasses and mine.  The best part is it tasted like the corn dog stand from my childhood.

Here's your grocery list:
6-8 BIG lemons
1 1/2 cups of granulated sugar
8-9 cups of water

Enjoy!!
Hugs y'all!
LSG


No comments:

Post a Comment